Confessions of a Car Man

HEY! I FEEL ALL ALONE OUT HERE! THROW ME A BONE AND BECOME A FOLLOWER. AND WHILE YOU'RE AT IT, LEAVE A FREAKING COMMENT!







The Designated Bitcher (Part 1)

The old axiom that states “the crazy people always come out” has never been truer than it is today. With the real buyers getting more and more scarce it makes it tougher for a Car Man to endure the endless parade of flakes and nuts that come on to your lot when the real buyers are home watching a movie on the Lifetime Channel.

Since I’m not a sales trainer I have no neat solution for this, nor is it my job to motivate you. It’s my job to bitch and that’s exactly what I’m going to do. Think of me as your designated bitcher. I do know two things: firearms are out of the questions, and it’s a good time to have a microbrewery near the dealership so you can drown your sorrows in cold glass of IPA.

Yes sir the vultures are out as certain you’re about to go under as they are of Global Warming. (And yes, I do have an unhealthy attitude when it comes to climate change.) I remember once about twenty years ago a guy came in and offered me $6000 for a new car with a list of $12000. When I asked him if I could have a taste of whatever he’d been smoking, he informed me, deadly serious, that the world was about to end so there was no need for me to get what we were asking for the car.

Okay.

In my particular circumstances, every deadbeat with a 500 credit score (or less) is on the prowl for a used car with no money down. They seem particularly interested in my $8495 1994 Lexus 400. It has a V8 and a 140k on the odometer. At least they’re being practical.

I just had a 45-minute ordeal with a Vietnamese family (total of seven people) who trucked up here from Oakland to try and buy my 1999 Toyota Sienna van for $2000 below our Internet “blowout” price.

Then I had the obligatory Mexican who doesn’t have a driver’s license and doesn’t understand why he can’t get a car financed. “Finance?” I said. “Sir, without a license I can’t even let you drive it!”

Call me a racist bastard. Maybe I am to a certain extent. But I’ll tell you now I’m an equal opportunity hater when it comes to strokers.

It will eventually come down to how long I can take this crap. I’m 58 now. Got a ways to go before I can park myself in the bone yard. Will mental illness overtake me before I get to collect on my Automobile Salesman’s Union 1095 pension? Only time will tell, I guess.

The only thing I ask of you out there is to send me a warning if I seem to be going off the deep end as they say. I realize a case could be made that that has already happened, but believe me it can get a whole lot worse.

Oh yeah. A lot worse.


Talk to you later,


David

No comments: