Confessions of a Car Man

HEY! I FEEL ALL ALONE OUT HERE! THROW ME A BONE AND BECOME A FOLLOWER. AND WHILE YOU'RE AT IT, LEAVE A FREAKING COMMENT!







Unchartered Waters

After writing my last post, I woke up in the middle of the night with two things on my mind. First, I had misspelled the word canon. I had typed cannon. Two, it occurred to me that I am probably the first person in the history of the automobile business to write something about Mexican Math.

This means, my friends that this blog is in uncharted waters. I don’t think many people have ever written about the business as it really is. I believe all the things that have been written up to now have been the complete bullshit view, spewed out by so-called “sales trainers” to appease the consciences of dealer principals.

What does this all mean? Hell, I don’t know. There are probably about five people reading this thing and at least one of them is a relative. Hopefully that may change if you dear readers will spread the word.

What do I want to happen with this blog? Honestly, I never gave it a lot of thought until a friend of mine suggested I ought to try to market it. Maybe I’d get a column in a car magazine, she suggested. First of all, The Others would not make heads or tails of what I write about. And car magazines? Please! Gear heads do not like to be referred to as idiots, which is exactly what they happen to be. Not that I pass judgment on people.

As a failed writer with a plethora of rejection slips to my credit, I have soothed my hurt literary feelings by reminding myself that the rewards of writing is in the act of writing itself. Thinking otherwise, unless you are really talented and really lucky, brings nothing but heartache.

So my only concern is that I can continue to come up with things to write about. When I started the blog, the ideas I have been thinking about for all these years came rushing out, but now they are slowing a little. All writers fear that the well will run dry. So if you have any suggestions, I’d appreciate it. Write to me at http://www.drteves@citlink.net/.

Happy holidays to all of you. May all your ups be big dummies with a way to go!


Talk to you later,



David

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should put all of these into a book. I would buy it! I know every car salesman would buy it. It would be as "Caddyshack" is to golfers. You would become "Carl-the assistant greenskeeper", the gum-chewing, woman-coveting, drug-taking burnout of the golf links!" As golfers can quote nearly verbatim the entire script of Caddyshack, so too would the future liners of tommorrow begin throwing "Tevesims" around...
Big Dummy With A Way to Go... A Demo A Draw and A Day off... Mexican Math... Goat Turd Sandwich... and so on! You could make up CarMan t-shirts with vampires on one side and gear-heads on the other. Throw in a pair of Birkenstocks and a well-worn Pipe and you could market the "College Town Car-Salesman Kit". I know many salesmen would buy this to give to each other as pranks and 'insider' jokes.

Truth is, the business is not funny. The antics of the manufacturers and the tree-huggers... far scarier than anything the terrorists have done! Your humor gives those on the front lines and in the foxholes hope.... keep it up!

SF GIANTS ROCK! Even if they DID take last place! It could always be worse, right? I just want Barry's Barcaliner!